Most people dread it whenever we talk about house cleaning. Let’s be real, it’s not the easiest thing to do when your house might be filled with dusty unknowns, objects of sentimental value that you never wanted to discard, or the occasional dark corners of your house you avoid reaching into.
Over time, it becomes difficult to get a house cleaning done every few months, which is why professional house cleaning services in Singapore are readily available at your fingertips to make things fuss-free and efficient for you. In additional, these usually come with disinfection service too!
In this article, we take you through a step-by-step house cleaning checklist. Hopefully, this checklist will be able to break down the entire process for you to allow you to clean smarter!
But before we begin, let’s talk about how often you should clean your house.
How often should I schedule a house cleaning?
The frequency of a cleaning session really depends on the condition of your house, and also how often you think you need to clean it. For people who enjoy hygienic, tidy and clean living environments, they might go with a weekly cleaning session. However, for those who can stand the occasional mess, a biweekly, monthly or even ad hoc spring cleaning session should suffice.
The comprehensive step-by-step checklist
To kickstart your cleaning session, we have a checklist that you might find helpful. We have divided the checklist according to the areas of the home.
Cleaning the kitchen
On a daily basis, this is what you should do:
- Clean and keep the dishes
- Wipe down the sink, countertops and stovetops
- Sweep the floor, spot-clean any problematic areas to remove stains
- Clear the trash bags whenever it is full
On a weekly basis, make sure that you:
- Wash the dish cloths you’ve been using for that week and prepare fresh ones
- Sanitize or replace cleaning sponges
- Disinfect areas with high traffic – for instance, your countertops
- Wipe down kitchen cabinets and appliances, wash the trash can
- Sweep and mop the kitchen floor to remove grease
On a monthly basis, you can:
- Check for expired food products in your fridge and wipe down the interior
- Check for expired goods in your cabinets and discard them
- Dust the top of your fridge and kitchen cabinets to prevent dust accumulation
- Give the kitchen sink a deep-clean, ensure that no residue is left on the surface
- Clean the microwave and oven
Cleaning the living room
On a daily basis, you should give the living room:
- A good tidy up. Make sure you don’t leave any half-eaten foods, wrappers or dishes there. Keep the toys, books and papers away after using them
- Put things back to where they belong
- Straighten and fluff throw any pillows or blankets
- Tidy up magazine stacks and newspapers
On a weekly basis, you should:
- Dust and vacuum furniture and upholstery
- Sweep and mop the floor
- Wipe down and sanitize coffee table, remote controls and switches
- Clean glass surfaces with a microfiber cloth and all-purpose cleaning solution
- Window cleaning
On a monthly basis, you can ensure to:
- Dust books, ceiling fan, coffee table and other surfaces
- Vacuum all corners, including areas beneath the sofa as well as corners of the living room
- Wash blankets and pillows according to their care instructions
Cleaning the bedrooms
On a daily basis, follow these steps:
- Make the beds. Fold your blankets and keep the pillow nice and tidy
- Put away any clothes lying around, wash the dirty ones
- Ensure that any mugs and snack wrappers are removed or kept away
On a weekly basis, you should be:
- Washing your bedsheets, pillowcases and clothes
- Tidying your desk and clearing away and unused or unwanted papers
- Dust, vacuum and mop the floor
On a monthly basis, you can consider:
- Organizing your wardrobe and drawers
- Vacuum thoroughly – under your bed, furniture and all hidden corners
- Wash the bed comforter
Cleaning the bathrooms
On a daily basis, ensure that you:
- Put away any soiled clothes and wash them
- Clean the toilet seat and sink areas
- Leave the bathroom door open whenever possible, to allow moist areas to dry up
- Remove hair from shower drain
On a weekly basis, you should:
- Scrub the sink and give it a deep-clean
- Remove any empty bathroom products or toiletries, replace with new ones
- Sweep and mop the floors
- Clear the trash bag and wash the trash bin
On a monthly basis, don’t forget to:
- Boil your toothbrushes to remove bacteria, replace with new ones if they are 3 months old
- Wipe down the insides of your toilet cabinets
- Clean the mirrors with a cloth and cleaning solution
What kind of cleaning products should you be using?
An all-purpose cleaner will actually do most of the job. While it can’t kill germs and bacteria, it can clean almost everything – surfaces, countertops, mirrors, cabinets and more.
You should also have a disinfecting spray ready at your disposal. It’s still the pandemic, and we are better safe than sorry! We recommend using the disinfecting spray to clean high-touch areas daily, and the other areas of your house on a weekly basis. Do this after the area has been thoroughly cleaned.
Baking soda! This is a cheap and good cleaning tool that everyone should already have in their homes. It can be especially helpful and effective in keeping the white areas white (e.g. toilets, sinks, showers and bathtubs).
Last but not least, everyone definitely needs to have laundry detergent, softeners and dishwashing liquid ready at home. These are cleaning solutions that you will use on a regular basis, so make sure to stock up on them!
What kind of cleaning equipment should I have?
Microfiber cloths are not just absorbent, but also good for removing germs from surfaces. They can also be used to wipe your dishes and clean your home.
You should also have the regular, classic broom and dustpan to make daily cleaning convenient and hassle-free. You can consider investing in a vacuum cleaner as well – they’re really good at removing dust and other allergens.
A microfiber mop helps to trap dirt, hair and any other debris, and cleaning gloves protect your skin from the chemicals used in house cleaning.
If you have come this far, we hope that this checklist has been helpful for you! Hopefully, it can help you to stay on track with their cleaning goals.
If you find it hard to do all these on your own, reach out for house cleaning services by a professional cleaning company. Superb Cleaning is an industry expert in home cleaning services, with many years of experience. We have dedicated account managers for customer service, and customizable cleaning packages that work around your budget.
Contact us for a quick quotation or to schedule your first appointment today!